Monday, June 22, 2009

1st week in Korea





Annyung, that's informal hello in Korean.

Lol, just learning a few here and there. I'm having a hard time remembering them (i'm claiming chemo brain still). I am good with hand language and gestures, we understand each other that way. The taxis are okay, I write the address where I want to go and they understand it that way.

You guys have a laugh at me or with me. Tuesday, my second day, I was locked in, Jesse didn't show me how to open the door, so I rigged it and of course the alarm came on. Lol. I didn't panicked, I told you it takes 2 card keys to get in, so I used one of them.

I spent my lock in time cleaning the kitchen, I think the people before us liked to fry everything and didn't clean. The kitchen was full of grime and I am not exaggerating. The cleaning crew didn't get everything out. Oh yeah, I've killed 7 roaches since I got here. I saw one came from the drain. Ewww, no wonder there's roach traps in the kitchen and the bathrooms. Wednesday, I went across the street to shop, it is full of mom and pop stores, from home and kitchen stuff, vegetables (must be garlic season, there's garlic everywhere), fish market, ready made food, restaurants, clothes, shoes, appliances and there's even a small medical and children's dental clinic literally across our building. I came back with what we call take out food, mostly prepared vegetables and not all kim chee. I haven't really been cooking and it is fine by me. Thursday, Jesse and I went to Yongsan Base in Seoul to have me sign in and get my ID. Rode the subway, very interesting, on our way there the subway was decorated with artificial flowers and bushes, very pretty. We walk around "I Park Mall" before going to the Base, it is a very big shopping center i mean big, and several stories high, had lunch there. Didn't buy anything, I have to be in the mood to shop and I was not. We went to downtown Seoul after the Base and walked around a little because I was very tired by then. It was a very exhausting day. Friday was the first time I went to the Base here "Camp Red Cloud" It is a walking distance but I took a taxi to meet Jesse afterwork, I told the taxi driver to take me to CRC main gate, lol, he took me to the back gate. There's a Korean police post next to the American Gate. and the American Gate is manned mostly by Korean. Went to the Commissary and wow it is like a grocery store at home and I was so happy they have cilantro and guess how much 1 avocado cost? Over $3.00. I can't stop laughing. I was buying stuff that I usually buy at home, cleaning stuff mostly. I don't know why I was buying them since there's a cleaning service comes twice a month. Saturday poured heavy rain but it didn't stop us from going out, we went to check out Home Plus, didn't shop much, we just wanted to see it. We lasted only 2 hours. Again, it is all too exhausting for me. Poor Jesse, he has been so patient with me, he likes to go out and walk.
Sunday, was my first to go to Uijeongbu Baptist Church, I guess you could call it a contemporary church unlike our home church in Mesa which I miss especially the people. The people are friendly with mix of Korean and Militaries.

I went to the oncologist this morning by myself and it went okay. I went to St. Mary's Catholic Hospital and it is also a teaching (university) hospital. It is one of the top oncology hospital here, there's also a couple in Seoul, but this is closer. I called them last Friday and they hook me up with an english speaking nurse and they were able to get me today. I went to the International Clinic. The nurse was very apologetic because I waited an hour, i guess just like everywhere else, they are busy, I mean busy. The nurse said it is always like that on Monday and Tuesday. While I was waiting I was talking to a young soldier (barely 21) from Mississippi, he is stationed about 40 minutes away (Camp Casey) and this was the closest big hospital from there and he had an accident last week and had a cut on his right hand. He can't feel his thumb and index finger, we talked pretty much about everything, from food (he doesn't like korean food) and his family. He's been here since December and coming home this coming December and he will be stationed in Ft. Sill, OK. Another young man MP (he is 22) came later and he is getting a lot of migraines. His mother lives in Florida and his father in Sacramento, he lived in Prescott, so he is familiar a little with AZ. He is coming home this August, get married, he will be stationed in GA for 6 months, then to Afghanistan. He particularly didn't care being here, however I told him at least he was able to come and experience and at least know how life here. Both young men were very polite and it was so good to be able to talk to someone and understand them without hand gestures. I met with the oncologist and he is very nice, he recommended me to have a scan. MRI and bone density and I can have my Power Port flush at least every 2 months. He said my aches and pains are from the chemo, it should go away in 3-6 months or could even be a year. ouch!!!!!!!!!!!, all my joints hurts and inside the bone..... He spoke some english and we were able to understand each other, what I couldn't the nurse interpret for me. He told me to continue my cancer prevention meds(hormone) and told me to walk 45 minutes everyday. I laughed at that because I can't hardly move at times, however, I told him and the nurse that I will try. The overall treatment was good, I have no qualms about it.

Here's another laugh at me or with me. I was busy doing this blog before going to the doctor and next thing you know I was late, so I grabbed my purse and went. If I didn't see the surprised look at the lady downstairs, I would have gone out without my hair (wig). Lol...... I am so comfortable without my wig and most times I forget I don't have it on, especially that it is so humid here.

Oh yeah it took me a few days to set up my blog because when I wanted to set it up, my computer change to Korean and Jesse was busy working, so I had to wait for him to help me set it up.

So here it is.........I hope you will enjoy Korea through me. God Bless and thank you all for your prayers.

Phil 4:13

Pictures: 1 mil Korean (money) Won, Shoe store and that's only 1 of them, Jesse with the decorated subway, me and flowers in downtown Uijeoungbu, Jesse at the fishmarket




6 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. why does dad have a purse? :) peichs misses you

    ReplyDelete
  3. looking forward to your posts. but you gotta post more than uncle jesse.

    love from all of us,

    -h

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a smashing blog debut! i feel like i'm almost there with you. looking forward to more and more. love you both...and those two lovely ladies in arizona as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad all is well and that you are getting adjusted to your new situation. Stay safe and strong. I know that the two of you will be fine. All our love and prayers.

    Jerry and the kids

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that you locked yourself in the first of the week. Sounds like something that would happen to me. It also appears that Jesse will help keep you walking.

    Seriously, glad you have a good doctor so close.

    love ya
    Sue

    ReplyDelete