Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Picture This!

I have been volunteering at the Dental Clinic inside the Base for the last 2 weeks. It has been interesting and painful just to get a volunteer job. I guess, you will do anything if it is important to you. I had a background check, 3 on line test including HIPAA and anti-terrorism. 1 tetanus shot, a flu mist in the nose, 1 blood test, 1 chest x-ray, 1 mumps shot (my blood test showed I have very low count.)
In some ways I feel like I went back in time 10 years or more. In the office in AZ, we haven't used Amalgam (silver filling) the last 10 years. In other ways, its modern, they have digital x-rays, the patient chairs are brand new (to the dental people it is Adec brand, they are very nice.) Computers in every room. They do everything here, surgeries, root canals, fillings, crowns, etc. I volunteer Tuesdays and Thursdays and I'm still deciding about every other Wednesday afternoons because I have commitment with the ladies at church on the other days. There's 2 dentist (both Koreans) 1 just graduated from NYU, the other is SGT Major whose been here a while, 1 civilian hygienist, 1 office coordinator, 1 lab person/housekeeper and several assistants, 1 female American soldier and 2 male Katusa (Korean soldiers, 1 of them is in his first year in dental school here) and 2 male Katusa receptionist, and me, the volunteer. They are all very nice and easy going, the young Korean guys are very quiet though. I am told that they are quiet because they can't speak English well.

Today, there's only 1 doctor, the other is at a seminar.

Picture this! 1 patient (it was an Examination appt. only) 1 doctor and 4 assistants. To me it was funny because there's more assistants than patients. I have never seen that before.

I am very excited to be a part of the group and I am happy because I am back in my element.

No comments:

Post a Comment