Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Korean Folk Village

The Base had an excursion to the Korean Folk Village in the city of Suwon last Saturday and Jesse and I went. There were about 30 people from the Base that went on the tour bus. It took about 2 hours to get there because the bus had to stop at 1 more Base before going to the village. The village shows how the Korean's lifestyle was. Seeing these reminds me a lot of how my family lived in the Philippines when I was growing up. You can see why I really wanted to come to America which I am so thankful to the Lord for all my blessings. I guess farming life in the past no matter what country you are from, there are a lot of similarities especially in these part of the world.

I took this picture while on the bus on the way to the village. I guess the economy here is not that bad as at home because we passed so many of these buildings being built.

Harley Davidson is here too.

The Village

Fall is here, some of the leaves are changing.

Temple like resting areas

Very serene

Me, trying to learn how to weave a basket to carry things from the field.


Walking on a tightrope show. He did several acrobatic while on the rope.

Traditional dance. They also had a traditional wedding but we didn't go. Also there's areas for the kids to play at.

Jesse and Eeyore. Very docile animal.

Horse whisperer.

One of the many resting huts along the river. Jesse tried to sleep in it while I went in the vegetable areas. You have to remove your shoes before going in.

I remember when I was little, we had a house like this, the only difference it was on a stilt. Check out the roofing material, it is grass. It had to be replaced every year. Then when I was older, my family change it to tin. Now, my house in Arizona has tile. What a contrast!

They grow Hemp! I asked Jesse if it is what I think it is and he said, he think so.

The rice field. Imagine me planting rice in the mud. Yes, I did that. Then we had to cut them when it is time to reap and trash them by gripping enough rice stalks then hit it against a wall to get the rice (kernel, is that what's its called) separate from it.

Chinese Cabbage (Napa). Yes, I did plant that too, only we did, Bok choy.

Old way, this is how to remove the husk from the rice before cooking it. Like how you use mortar and pestle, just bigger. Yes, I did that too, before we had machinery.

Storing jars, I think it is where they make and store Kim Chee too. They dry the chili's anywhere.

After a tiring day, Jesse and I treated ourselves with tea and Halo-halo (if you are a filipino, you know what it is) a cold dessert, consist of shave ice, different kinds of chopped fruits, and it had some kind of beans.

No comments:

Post a Comment