Sunday, July 5, 2009

4th of July



Celebrating America's 233rd birthday away from home was good. We went to Camp Casey, about 20-30 minutes away from where we are by train. Got there about 5:30 pm. Jesse had his hotdog and I had hamburger. It was like home, there was baseball going on, all that was missing was apple pie and Ice cream (we don't really need it). There was a concert of Deana Carter (a country singer) and the 2nd Infantry Division Band from our base (Camp Red Cloud). One of the soldiers from the church that we have been visiting is one of them, he plays the French horn. We met a couple there from our apt. complex with their 2 young twin daughters, (he is a Lt. Col. and she is Korean) and they go to the same church too. The Celebration had the salute to all the 50 states and its flags (in order that they came to the union)which gave me goosebumps because every time they call a state they fire the cannon. There was fireworks in the end which I recorded some of it. Being with the military this time is very different than when Jesse was in the Army, and I can't help feeling proud and blessed. Being here makes me appreciate more of my adopted country.

I am so proud to be an american and we shouldn't take our freedom for granted. Some people don't realized how lucky and blessed we are. I still remember my uncle (who sponsored us to come to America) used to say "You lucky you came to America." I don't remember if I ever told him that I do. Growing up in the Philippines then coming to America as a teen, then coming here and experience another culture is really different, some people may even call it a shock. But I am here for only for a little while and I might as well enjoy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment